St. George Cathedral serves Lebanon’s Maronite Christian community. The church dates back to 12th century crusaders, but the modern iteration was built between 1884 and 1894. The interior design is inspired by the basilica, a large open hall dating to Roman times, specifically the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. The façade is neoclassical, designed by Italian architect Giuseppe Maggiore. The walls are made from stucco and marble. Some of the columns were recycled from Roman ruins elsewhere in Lebanon.
During the civil war, the cathedral was badly damaged and looted. It took four years to fully restore, and many stolen objects have since been returned. Today the St. George Cathedral is one of Beirut’s most popular tourist destinations. It is dedicated to the city’s patron saint.
Location: Rue Emir Bechir, Downtown Beirut