This information can be obtained by either visiting the web sites of the major monuments or by googling the term “tour operators” along with the name of the city.
At the visitor center, one can book half or full day tours. Generally speaking, the half day tours cover sightseeing highlights.
1. Mike's Garden Tours (tel./fax 09/846-5350;
2. Tamaki Hikoi (tel. 0800/282-552 in NZ) – walking tour of the Maori area.
3. Bush & Beach (tel. 09/837-4130)– coastal experience tour.
4. Potiki Adventures (tel. 0800/692-3836 in NZ). – specializes in Maori tours.
5. Fullers Auckland, Ferry Building, Quay Street (tel. 09/367-9111)- water tours.
6. The Pride of Auckland, at the National Maritime Museum, Quay Street (tel. 09/373-4557;) offers a dinner cruise.
7. Soren Larsen (tel. 0800/767-365 in NZ, or 09/817-8799;), for tall ship tours available December through February.
8. Sail New Zealand (tel. 0800/397-567 in NZ, or 09/359-5987;),
9. Island Escape Cruises (tel. 09/358-1717; ) for longer cruises.
Jerash (or Gerasa as it used to be known) is one of the best preserved Roman cities outside of Rome. The area has been settled since prehistoric times, but it did not become significant until General Pompey conquered the region in 63BC. Under the Romans the city prospered due to its position on the Via Nova Traiana, a highway between Aqaba and Damascus. The population reached 20...
Windsor Castle is the largest and oldest continually occupied castle in the world, dating back to the 1070s. William I (a.k.a. the Conqueror) chose the location to help protect the city of London, roughly a day’s march to the east. It was located adjacent to the Windsor Forest, a popular hunting ground. Subsequent kings modified and expanded the palace. Henry II rebuilt l...
The Hill of Tara is an important archaeological site about 60km north of Dublin in County Meath. Once upon a time (before the Norman invasion in 1167), it is believed this was the seat of the kings of Ireland. Whether this is true and how important the site actually is are still up for debate. The hill itself rises 197m over the Irish countryside. There are around 30 monumen...
With its fascinating architecture, Prague can be thought of as an ancient place for children to be enthralled by and enjoy. Along with Prague Castle, there is its fascinating Toy Museum and Miniatures Museum (they are not allowed to touch the displays though). There are numerous toy shops dotted around the city which, when travelling by tram can be entertaining for children, along with the puppet ...