Location : In northeastern Illinois, at the southwestern tip of Lake Michigan.
* Nicknames: Windy City, Second City, Gem of the Prairie, the “I will” City, City in a Garden.
* Race/Ethnicity Mixture: 57% Caucasian, 19% Latino, 18% Black, 5% Asian; 1% Other
* Electricity: 110 volts, 60Hz, standard two pin plugs
* Businesses are usually open from 10AM to 6PM. The local shops are open till 9PM. Restaurants stop serving guests at around 10PM.
* The first skyscraper was found here.
* Type of government: Mayor elected every four years. City clerk and treasurer also elected to citywide positions.
* Population: 2.8 million (City); 9.6 million metro
* Population Density: 12,750 people per square mi.
* Per capita income: $38,49
* Major industries: business services, aircraft, food processing, electronics, insurance, iron, manufacturing, machinery, meatpacking, retail, shipping, trade and steel fabricators.
Country Dialing Code: +1 (USA)
312 - City of Chicago, including the Loop the North side and central neighborhoods
773 – City limits except the central area
847/224 - North and Northwest Suburbs
630/331 - Western Suburbs
708 - Near West and South Suburbs
815/779 - (Far Northwest/Southwest Suburbs; Joliet, DeKalb, Rockford)
219 - (Northwest Indiana)
574 - (North-central Indiana)
262 - (Southeast Wisconsin surrounding Milwaukee County)
Note: You must dial "1" plus the area code for all telephone numbers, even if you are making a call within the same are code.
Emergency numbers 911
Population - City: 3 million; in the suburbs: another 5 million.
Languages - English
Time zone - GMT - 6 (GMT - 5 from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November).
Average January temperatures - 21 degrees F/ -6 degrees C
Average July temperatures - 73 degrees F/ 23 degrees C
Annual rainfall - 36 inches/ 91 centimeters
Currency- US dollars, Code-USD, Symbol-US$