Car for Hire
There are various international car companies to hire cars from in Nairobi.
· One must be careful though as there is a car jacking problem and it is not very safe if one does not know the way around.
· Always travel prepared, with a pre-checked spare tyre and tools, spare fuel, food and plenty of drinking water.
· If you can help it, try not to drive at night.
· Tell someone where you are going and when you expect to arrive at your destination.
· Do not stop for people apparently looking for help at the side of the road.
· Choose picnic spots with care, and do not leave your vehicle unattended.
· On longer safaris, try to travel in convoy with at least one other vehicle.
The following are some of the car rental companies one can use:
Budget rent-a-car – tel (24 hrs) +254-020-3581027/ (0) 722 516137
Kingsway Nairobi Centre, University Way.
Elite Car Rental Tours and Safaris
Kingsway Nairobi Center, University Way P.O. Box 32408-00600, Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel:+ 254-20-357 9838, +254 20 221 8769 or +254 722 761 623
Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
Main Arrival Lounge, 14376, Nairobi
Tel: + 254- 20-822625, Fax number: (254) 822624
Ground Floor, 680 Hotel Building, Muindi Mbingu Street, Nairobi
P.O. Box 43439, 00100, Nairobi, Kenya.
Tel: +254(20)2222888, or +254(20)313494, Fax: +254(20)253258
Cars can be hired from KSH 5000 to 15,000 a day for self drive options. Drivers can be availed with almost all the cab companies at an extra cost ranging from KSH 1000 to 1500 a day.
These are the popular three wheeled scooters, very useful for short distances especially in the main city centre area of Nairobi. Tuk Tuk’s are reasonable and safe.