Campo San Polo
Many years ago, at the Campo San Polo bull races took place, fairs and military parades were held but now only the city’s outdoor cinema is set up here on summer nights. The church located here called the Chiesa di San Polo was restored several times but little remains of the original 9th-century building, and the 19th-century alterations were so expensive that the friars had to sell off many great paintings to pay bills. Though the work of Giambattista Tiepolo is displayed here, his work is outdone by 16 paintings by his son Giandomenico (1727-1804), including the Stations of the Cross in the oratory. San Polo's bell tower has not changed through the centuries. The highlight of the tower is the two lions guarding it, playing with a serpent and a Human head.
Address: Campo San Polo, Venice
Phone: 041/2750462 Chorus
Cost: EUR 3, Chorus pass EUR 9
Open: Mon.-Sat. 10-5, Sun. 1-5