St. Stephen's Green
Saint Stephen's Green was a common area on the outskirts of Dublin when it was walled in in 1664. In the 18th and 19th centuries the are surrounding the park was built up with Georgian style buildings that were home to the city's best off. Unfortunately, many of those buildings have been demolished since then. In 1877, the Green was opened to the public by an act of Parliament, thanks to the Guinness family. Previously it had only been open to local residents.
The park covers 22 acres in south central London. Its current layout dates to 1814, when it was redesigned by commissioners appointed by local residents. The Fusiliers Arch, which commemorates Irish soldiers who died in the Second Boer War and was erected in 1907 , stand at the Grafton Street entrance. The park is filled with statues of famous Irishmen, including James Joyce and W.B. Yeats.
Saint Stephen's Green is a nice change of pace from the hustle of nearby Grafton Street and the rest of central Dublin. It's easily accessible by the Green Line of the Luas tram. On sunny days the atmosphere is surprisingly romantic. There's no need to go out of your way to see the park, though.
Location: Southside, Dublin
Tram: Saint Stephen's Green (Green Line Luas)
Admission: Free admission.