This information can be obtained by either visiting the web sites of the major monuments or by googling the term “tour operators” along with the name of the city.
At the visitor center, one can book half or full day tours. Generally speaking, the half day tours cover sightseeing highlights.
1. Mike's Garden Tours (tel./fax 09/846-5350;
2. Tamaki Hikoi (tel. 0800/282-552 in NZ) – walking tour of the Maori area.
3. Bush & Beach (tel. 09/837-4130)– coastal experience tour.
4. Potiki Adventures (tel. 0800/692-3836 in NZ). – specializes in Maori tours.
5. Fullers Auckland, Ferry Building, Quay Street (tel. 09/367-9111)- water tours.
6. The Pride of Auckland, at the National Maritime Museum, Quay Street (tel. 09/373-4557;) offers a dinner cruise.
7. Soren Larsen (tel. 0800/767-365 in NZ, or 09/817-8799;), for tall ship tours available December through February.
8. Sail New Zealand (tel. 0800/397-567 in NZ, or 09/359-5987;),
9. Island Escape Cruises (tel. 09/358-1717; ) for longer cruises.
Every Saturday at noon the changing of the guards ceremony occurs at this square. The ceremony is an enactment meant to transport visitors back in time. The ceremony comprises of horses, an orchestra and soldiers dressed in uniforms from the Czarist era. To view this, tourists are required to pay a fee separately. Cathedral Square comprises of the following monuments: Cathedral of the Arc...
Chicago's architecture is unparalleled. As the grand avenues of Paris are exemplary of the nineteenth century, and the canals of Venice of the Renaissance, so do the skyscrapers and neoclassical monuments represent modernity. The Chicago Architecture Foundation works to advance knowledge and public interest in architecture and design. A small museum is located in the Santa Fe Buil...
The second largest park in Paris has a long history. Marie de Médici, widow of Henry IV and mother of Louis XIII, wanted to build a palace similar to the Pitti Palace in her native Florence. The resulting Luxembourg Palace (constructed in the 1610s) is today the home of the French Senate, though it has undergone substantial renovations since. The garden surrounding the palace was...
Hidden behind a web of greenery, this Orthodox Church is small yet has a very powerful structure. The main complex is paired with a small white tower to make it recognizable. The church is visited often by the locals on Sundays and for special ceremonies. ...