This information can be obtained by either visiting the web sites of the major monuments or by googling the term “tour operators” along with the name of the city.
At the visitor center, one can book half or full day tours. Generally speaking, the half day tours cover sightseeing highlights.
1. Mike's Garden Tours (tel./fax 09/846-5350;
2. Tamaki Hikoi (tel. 0800/282-552 in NZ) – walking tour of the Maori area.
3. Bush & Beach (tel. 09/837-4130)– coastal experience tour.
4. Potiki Adventures (tel. 0800/692-3836 in NZ). – specializes in Maori tours.
5. Fullers Auckland, Ferry Building, Quay Street (tel. 09/367-9111)- water tours.
6. The Pride of Auckland, at the National Maritime Museum, Quay Street (tel. 09/373-4557;) offers a dinner cruise.
7. Soren Larsen (tel. 0800/767-365 in NZ, or 09/817-8799;), for tall ship tours available December through February.
8. Sail New Zealand (tel. 0800/397-567 in NZ, or 09/359-5987;),
9. Island Escape Cruises (tel. 09/358-1717; ) for longer cruises.
The Istanbul Museum of Modern Art opened in 2004 in a former customs warehouse near the cruise ship docks. It displays works from the 1960s to the present, mostly from Turkish artists. That might sound like something that would only appeal to a small niche, but the collection is quite engaging. The upper floor houses the permanent collection, as well as a gift shop and restaurant...
The Grand Palais is a magnificent glass exhibition hall that was built for the 1900 Paris Exhibition in the Beaux Arts style. Inspired by London’s Crystal Palace (built for the 1851 Exhibition), the 200m long central hall is topped with a glass, iron, and, steel roof and it is the largest such structure in the world. Grand art exhibitions were held here until the 1940s. The Grand Palais ...
Founded in 1891, Skansen Open Air Museum was built to preserve Stockholm’s rural culture and is one of the major attractions in Stockholm. There are 150 buildings of historic interest including a workshop. Here you can learn about traditional crafts and traditions of Sweden. The zoo houses Nordic animals like elks, wolves, moose, lynxes and bears. Lil Skansen is a children’s zoo where children...
Address: Auckland War Memorial Museum, Domain Drive, Parnell. Tel: +64 9 309 0443 Timings: 10AM-5PM Auckland War Memorial Museum is more than just a war museum. As the oldest museum in New Zealand, the Auckland War Memorial Museum houses collections significant to New Zealand's natural and military history. ...