This information can be obtained by either visiting the web sites of the major monuments or by googling the term “tour operators” along with the name of the city.
At the visitor center, one can book half or full day tours. Generally speaking, the half day tours cover sightseeing highlights.
1. Mike's Garden Tours (tel./fax 09/846-5350;
2. Tamaki Hikoi (tel. 0800/282-552 in NZ) – walking tour of the Maori area.
3. Bush & Beach (tel. 09/837-4130)– coastal experience tour.
4. Potiki Adventures (tel. 0800/692-3836 in NZ). – specializes in Maori tours.
5. Fullers Auckland, Ferry Building, Quay Street (tel. 09/367-9111)- water tours.
6. The Pride of Auckland, at the National Maritime Museum, Quay Street (tel. 09/373-4557;) offers a dinner cruise.
7. Soren Larsen (tel. 0800/767-365 in NZ, or 09/817-8799;), for tall ship tours available December through February.
8. Sail New Zealand (tel. 0800/397-567 in NZ, or 09/359-5987;),
9. Island Escape Cruises (tel. 09/358-1717; ) for longer cruises.
The Palais des Nations was built between 1929 and 1938 to act as headquarters for the League of Nations. The design is a collaboration of five contest winners. It is built in the Neoclassical style. In 1946, the Palais des Nations became the European headquarters for the newly minted United Nations. Over the next thirty years, the palace expanded to its present shape. ...
El Hank Lighthouse was built in 1919 to help sailors steer their vessels away from the shore. Until the construction of the lighthouse, many ships got stuck in the sandy banks of Casablanca’s shores. El Hank Lighthouse, also known as Pointe d'el-Hank Light, stands 161 feet high, and its light can be seen from 30 nautical miles away. The lighthouse is a round masonry tower with lantern and gallery....
For the Beatles and John Lennon fans in particular this museum will be a rare treat. Opened in 2000 under the patronage of Lennon’s wife Yoko Ono- the Museum showcases the life of this musician; his personal life as a husband and father, as well as his life as a musician and as a protestor. Pieces include lyrics hand-written by Lennon himself, his jacket, passport, his glasses and guitars. Tim...
This museum is playful and interesting. Its growing collection includes talented artists like Stephen Andrews, Genevieve Cadieux, Ivan Eyre, Betty Goodwin, Micah Lexier, Arnaud Maggs, and Roland Poulin. Their temporary exhibits are fascinating such as the one on tattoo art-‘Art for the Human Canvas’. Timings: Tues-Sun 11AM-6 PM Admission: Free Address: 952 Queen St. W Tel: 416/395-7430...